I started something – http://mattdaddy.net/2013/02/14/day-1/ ? and didn’t follow it up of course. Trying to motivate myself to work more and not get killed in the Mud Race I have in May and Tough Mudder I have in October. Been getting scared by friends who have done it before, and eating a lot better lately. I could use some excuse of being sick every other week, but it’s mostly being lazy.
I think the biggest wake up was going to a doctors appointment and getting weighed, and being heavier than I have ever been…EVER! (and hell NO I’m not telling you). It was a nice little kick in the ass. Been talking with friends about Weight Watchers, Whole Food Dieting, and The Paleo Diet, and have really decided to do a little of all of it.
- I cut out the soda at lunch and the soda & candybar run at 2:30 or so when I’m really just needing to get out from behind my desk.
- I’ve increased my water intake to more than ZERO per day. Doctor told me I should be drinking about 64 ounces of water. Holy Moley! Problem with that is I have to do it all before 3 or so, or I’ll have to pee the whole 1.5 hour ride home. No thanks!
- I’m working on portion control. (see note 1)
- I’m making a practice of not going into the danger cabinet – the one with all of the cookies and sweet stuff. I’m not a big ice cream fan, so that’s not a big deal. A good chocolate chip cookie will be my downfall every single time.
- Trying to cut down on grains and carbs as much as possible. Paleo says to cut out milk, but I feel like that’s a little drastic right now.
- Increasing veg and fruit
- Trying to find a quick alternative for breakfast in the morning. I usually have oatmeal with organic PB, a little preserves, and grapenuts. Paleo talks about eggs, but I don’t have time to make em, and I don’t like hardboiled eggs.
So what do you do to stay healthy? If you have any suggestions, I’d welcome them. With the weather being totally wacky lately, I’m trying to get out for walks during lunch, but rain and freezing sleet do not help and I need to do something like yesterday. Going to a gym really an option, more because of time constraints than anything else.
And yeah, I’m up for sleeping earlier, waking earlier, and doing a bit of a workout around 5:30, but I need serious motivation for that.