Yeah I know – “Your season’s over!” since I’m a Red Sox fan, most of what would be important to me would be the signing of Saltamacchia or whether Big Papi’s option has been exercised.
To tell the truth, I’m a baseball fan more than I am a Sox fan I think. Given a choice, I’ll always pick the Sox over any other team, and if the Sox aren’t playing, I’ll always pick the team playing the Yankees 😉 but for the most part, I’ll watch any baseball game from pee-wee league all the way up to MLB. I just love the sport. Not sure why I didn’t continue in middle school, probably because I didn’t make it because Pete & Alan were the catchers – just like they were the goalies for soccer. Seems those two were always blocking me somehow 🙂
I didn’t make that team in 7th or 8th grade because I was complaining too much actually. I remember Mike coming up to me when I wondered why I didn’t make it and he said vehemently “Because all you did was whine and complain” and looking back on it, he was right. I was talking to talk because I was uncomfortable and nervous with the silence and the fact I was being judged by the coaches, trying to make myself come off as cool and competent. I realized a long time ago that he was right and I was an idiot.
It’s not like I thought I would have made the majors or even played in college, but I do wish that I had continued playing because I do love the game. Wow, that was a nice little revelation I haven’t thought of in a while, I’ll let that simmer for a little bit 😉
So just watching this postseason has shown me several things. Yeah, I still don’t like the Yankees, even tho I grew up on Lawn Guhyland (Long Island) NY, that I don’t know squat about postseason play, and that I am truly shocked at the outcome so far.
- Can’t believe Tampa is out of it. That’s shocking as hell because I thought they’d take it all the way.
- Equally can’t believe that Texas beat them!
- Not shocked by the Twins/Yankees series, knew that one.
- Equally not shocked that Atlanta lost. Sorry to see Bobby Cox go, amazing coach, and great man.
- Equally not shocked that Cincinnati lost, watched the no hitter – not surprised there either
- Can’t believe Giants won last night.
- KNEW that the Yankees would come from behind, in game 1. Thought they’d do it again in game 2.
- Giggled a little watching CC & Hughes struggle, I’ll admit it.
- I’m not in the playoffs, so stop getting pissy, you’re cooler, okay?
Baseball is all about teamwork, and that’s what the Yankees excel at, pulling together as a team and exploiting mistakes and weaknesses in the other team. They do spend more money on payroll, but they have that thing that most teams don’t.
Good luck to all teams, yes even the Yankees!